- For the olive salad:
1/2 mug Spanish pimento olives
1/2 cup pitted black olives (Kalamatas work fine).
4 to 6 cornichons. 2 cloves garlic (see note listed below).
2 tsps dried out Italian oregano.
1/2 mug extra-virgin olive oil.
2 tbsps merlot vinegar.
1/4 tsp ground black pepper.
- For the sandwich components:
one 6-ounce crusty Italian roll.
A little creole mustard.
1/4 extra pound very finely sliced costs prepared or treated ham (even prosciutto or jamon Serrano).
1/4 pound very finely sliced capicola (as the name suggests, this is frequently made from pig neck).
1/4 extra pound cut provolone cheese.
- It’s simple to make the olive salad in the dish of a food processor making use of the olives, cornichons, garlic, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, and black pepper. Give every little thing a few fast pulses. It must continue to be a bit chunky– rather more rugged than a tapenade
- Spoon the olive salad into a non-reactive dish as well as cover it with cling wrap. It needs to after that go into the refrigerator to relax for a minimum of 5 to 8 hours, and it will keep over night.
- To put together, utilize a sharp bread blade to divide the loaf right into 2 halves flat like a large burger bun. Smear some mustard on the bottom fifty percent and also top with pork, capicola, provolone, and a generous amount of olive salad. Cover with the leading part of the roll and also divide right into fifty percents or quarters. Bring paper napkins.
- Notes to the chef: For the garlic, I use a “garlic confit” that I learned from Thomas Keller’s Bouchon recipe book. What that contains has to do with 40 peeled cloves of garlic covered in canola oil and also poached for concerning forty minutes– a fire tamer is advised. Store the garlic as well as oil in a sealed container in the refrigerator. After a few days the oil will certainly be highly perfumed. I think the little Corsican would certainly such as that touch. It comes in handy to have on hand and you can include a little of the oil to the salad. Or else, utilize fresh garlic cloves.
- The cornichon included in the olive salad is untraditional yet one of my New Orleans friends really liked it, so I believe it actually works. Do not be stingy with the olive salad.